Cardioline TouchECG HD+ setup guide
Mobility, practicality & accuracy in one small device.
The Cardioline TouchECG HD+ is packaged nicely with several protective layers and includes the ECG device, cables, lead connections, instruction manual, 2 AAA batteries & protective rubber case for the HD+.
The TouchECG simplifies the monitoring process through bluetooth connection with windows tablets, laptops & computers.
This system allows for seamless transmission of information between the patient, ECG and output device. Most beneficial of all is the mobility. The Bluetooth 4.0 capabilities allow for clinicians to move about freely whilst taking measurements from the patient. Furthermore, this ECG set-up allows for wi-fi printing on regular paper, meaning there is no longer a need for ECG specific paper.
Setting up your Cardioline touchecg HD+
Follow this step by step guide to set up your HD+ before clinical application. As the Cardioline package comes with a case, we recommend using it during practice to protect the device; but we will also show you how to set up without.
The walkthrough includes:
1) Physical set up of the product
2) Setting up a bluetooth connection
3) Setting up Cardioline ECG software
Setting up the HD+
First thing's first, batteries. Take the TouchECG out of the packaging and find the 2 AAA batteries included in the Cardioline box. If single-use batteries are a hassle, we recommend investing in USB rechargeable batteries.
Turn the device around and find the opening at the bottom of the device.
Pry open the water-resistant battery backing. This is do-able with nails, but it might hurt. We recommend using a thin plastic wedge as to not damage the device backing such as a Wooworths / Flybys rewards card - a small teaspoon also works.
Insert batteries & ensure the backing is secured tightly.
Caseless set up
For those who want to use the device as it is, follow these steps. First of all, take out the cables from the Cardioline box packaging.
1) Find the top of the HD+ with the cable connection slot.
2) Take the cable and insert it into the cable connection slot.
3) Push the cable firmly into place so that there is little gap between the soft rubber edge of the cable and the HD+.
Rubber case set up
This method is similar to that of the above, but has a few extra steps. First you'll want to take the rubber case out of the plastic film.
1) Find the insertion point on the bottom of the rubber case.
2) Take the HD+ cable and insert the connection point through the bottom of the rubber case.
3) Pull the connection point through and grab your HD+.4) Connect the cable to the HD+ the same as the caseless setup.
5) Push cable firmly and ensure that it is secured to the HD+.
6) Pull cord through the rubber case and fit around the HD+.
Setting up your output device (Tablet / Laptop / Computer)
Some may find this set up process tedious, but we here at StarkMed strive to make it as simple as possible. A couple things you will need before you start.
- A relatively modern windows device (windows 8 or newer). Android also works, but might not operate as smoothly - so we recommend sticking with a windows device.
- Cardioline Software. This can be found in the user manual that comes in the box, but for your convenience - this information can be found on page 21 of the user manual or visit their website here.
For this demonstration, we will be using a DELL tablet with windows 8 installed. *Please note that the user interface may differ depending on your device and version of windows.
1) Turn on your device and go to the bottom right corner of the toolbar to find "Bluetooth".
2) Press "Add a bluetooth device".
3) This should take you to the Bluetooth control panel. Turn bluetooth on by pressing the button / slider.
4) On the TouchECG HD+, Press the centre button. You should see a blue light turn on. The device will make a sound if it has connected to the tablet / laptop.
Your windows device should automatically search for available bluetooth connections. Press "HDplusXXXXXX" once it appears. (The number will depend on the serial number of the device which can be found at on the back of the ecg).
5) You should be able to see an option to "Pair". Press on this button to proceed - The button should turn grey, this is normal. Just wait a few seconds.
6) There might be a slight delay but wait for a loading bar to appear. Let the device do its thing in order to connect the devices. Do not close the window.
7) Once connected, the device will show "Connected". You may now return to the home screen. If the pairing is unsuccessful, please make sure no other bluetooth devices are connected (turn them off) and try again.
Using the Cardioline software
After your Cardioline software has been installed & your bluetooth settings have been configured successfully, we can continue with setting up the device.
1) When you open the software, you will see either this page or something similar.
2) Notice the bottom bar changing text every few seconds. You may find that it says "HD+ NOT FOUND" or device is not connected. Do not worry, this is normal.
3) Press the arrow on the top right corner of the screen. This will display a drop down menu.
4) On the settings dropdown, go ahead and press the icon with the cogs to open up the settings menu.
5) This should take you to the first page of the settings menu. Here you can also modify several functions of the touchecg HD+.
6) We need the software to recognise the TouchECG HD+, so go to the row "HD+ SERIAL NUMBER" and press the dropdown menu to identify your HD+ and select it to connect.
7) After connecting successfully, save your settings using the floppy disc icon in the top right corner and return to the home screen by clicking the arrow icon in the bottom right corner.
8) Returning to the home menu, you should notice that the bottom bar is now green, meaning the device has been successfully been connected.
Using the Cardioline TouchECG HD+
Readings & Data
Now that your device has been connected - you can begin using it for your patients. Connect your adaptors if you haven't already. Once the device begins to take a reading from a patient. The data will automatically transmit onto the tablet / laptop output device.
If data does not automatically appear, press the bottom right button as displayed below to receive a reading.
Patient data is important. The TouchECG HD+ makes it easy to record new patient data.
Click on the person icon on the right side of the menu. This should bring up a page which says "Main Information". Fill it in as per your needs.
Notice the display bar on the right side of the page:
- Click the person icon to add a new patient.
- Click the magnifying class to search for a patient.
- Click the checklist to bring up a checklist for the patient.
There are also the "Clinical Information" & "Other Information" tabs on the top of the page should you require it.
If you wish to explore the settings of the device further, refer back to the "Using the Cardioline Software" section. Here you can adjust settings such as Graph Format, Speed, Amplitude, Security settings and more.
Thanks for your time, we hope this guide has been of assistance.
This walkthrough was created by Stark Medical for the Cardioline TouchECG HD+ devices. We understand that your output devices and ECG models might differ, but the process should be strikingly similar. For more information, please refer to the provided user manuals.